Friday, July 6, 2007

How does it end?


In many of the great business and goal setting books for that matter, there is this constant theme of, begin with the end in mind. "How are you supposed to get where you're going without a destination", they often ask.

* To begin with the end in mind is to begin with the image of the end of your life as the frame of reference by which everything else is measured.
* We may be busy, we may be efficient, but we will only be effective if we begin with the end in mind.

-The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People / Steven Covey

I've found one of the greatest challenges of being an entrepreneur is getting lost in the details of the day to day. The minutia sure feels like it could take me down some days. Could the simple lack of direction be one of the reasons so many new businesses never make it to their second year?

Let's not find out! Being in business now for nine months (www.byu-ti.com), I often joke that you'd have to kill me for me to give up now. I'm a big believer in the power of word, so I guess I better stop saying that. The deal simply is, I'm pushing forward, whatever it takes. I love that line.

My neighbor (www.vanillabakeshop.com) and I were discussing using celebrity names that we've worked with to promote our businesses and she said without regret, "whatever it takes." I immediately knew Amy and I were going to get along just fine. That one line has held me up in the most challenging moments.

The other tool that has held me up is my END vision. There is a key image that keeps me focused:
We're on a yacht in St. Tropez, my family all in white, bottles of bubbly popping, the sun is nearing sunset. We are celebrating the sale of Byu-ti. We've made it. We've built a sellable business and are ecstatic with the purchase price. Yeah baby.

No comments: